Your Desktop is the default location of your screenshots in OSX. Now if you want to organize / declutter your desktop, you may want to change its default location.
Here are the steps on how to change the screenshot folder location:
- Create a folder named SCREENSHOTS (or whatever label you want to call your screenshots folder) in your desired directory or location.
- Open Spotlight Search (Command + Space).
- Type in “Terminal” then hit Enter.
- Type this command: “defaults write com.apple.screencapture location “
- Drag the folder you created to the Terminal, then hit Enter.
The command should look like this: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /User/username/location
- Type this command: “killall SystemUIServer”
- Hit Enter.
Try making a screenshot and check if the default location was changed.